ARE YOU A REGISTERED MEMBER?
PLEASE SIGN IN BELOW:
|Home » Articles » LESSON NOTES (Social Studies) » Upper Primary|
HARVESTING WATER RESOURCES
HARVESTING MARINE AND FRESH WATER RESOURCES
TOPIC CODE: NTGE160206ES
Marine is anything related to sea water.
A resource is anything that can be useful and utilized.
Fresh water includes lakes, rivers, streams, dams. There are a lot of water resources in marine and fresh waters. Among them are fish, plants, building materials and water itself.
The following are examples of water resources:
1. Common salt. This is found from sea water, water containing salt is collected in a special pond which is exposed to the sun. the water is allowed to evaporate until it leaves 5% of salt.
2. Fish. Fishing is the removal of fish from water bodies. There are different methods of harvesting fish as follows:
(a) Hook and line:
(c) Fishing pot:
3. Petroleum. Oil deposits are sometimes found under the ocean floor which is drilled and transported by pipelines to the refineries where it is processed to obtain petroleum products. Petroleum is called fossil fuel because it is made from the remains of plants and animals.
4. Building materials. Building materials such as sand is scooped out from sea shores and transported to various parts
EFFECTS OF HARVESTING WATER RESOURCES
1) Extraction of oil disturbs the surrounding marine environment
2) Shortage of fish due to over harvesting of fish and other water resources.
3) The cutting of mangrove trees leads to the land degradation
4) Over extraction of building materials such as sand may lead to erosion at sea shore.
WAYS OF MANAGING THE ABOVE EFFECTS
1) Poor fishing methods should be banned
2) Engines should be well fixed in order to avoid leakage of oil.
3) The use of dynamites and cyanide should be banned.
4) Sand harvesting should be well supervised.
************** END ******************
In case of any question or comment be free to write down:
A lot of Thanks
Mr. Yahya M (Badshah)
****** NTGE160206ES *******
|Views: 118 | ||
|Total comments: 0|