ARE YOU A REGISTERED MEMBER?
PLEASE SIGN IN BELOW:
|Home » Articles » LESSON NOTES (Social Studies) » Upper Primary|
FORESTRY IN EAST AFRICA
Forestry is the planting, caring, exploitation, preservation and management of forests.
The cutting down of trees for sale is known as Lumbering.
In East Africa, forests are found in highland regions and the coastal plains.
In Tanzania, forests cover about 49% of total land area. Forest are found around the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro, Mount Meru and in the southern highlands, mangroves are found along the coastal lines, Miombo woodlands occupy the central and western part of Tanzania like Tabora.
In Kenya, forests are found in the highlands, East and West of the rift valley, around the slopes of mount Kenya, Elgon and in Aberdare ranges, in some district such as kakamega, Kericho, Nakuru and Nandi. Mangrove are found along Kenyan coast in Lamu and Malindi.
In Uganda, forests are found in the highlands such as Bugoma, Budongo, Kibale, around Ruwenzori Mountains, around Mount Elgon and around the shores and islands of Lake victoria.
FORESTRY IN DEMOCRATIC REP. OF CONGO
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has heavy equatorial rainforest, thus the timber industry is high.
ADVANTAGES OF FORESTRY IN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
1) Employment to citizens
2) Raising of national income
3) Earning Foreign currency as timbers are exported.
CHALLENGES FACING FORESTRY IN DRC
1) Heavy rainfall hinders smooth transportation of logs and timbers.
2) Poor local market
3) Lack of development of the timber industry in the country
4) Many people give attention to the mining industry hence the timber industry is ignored.
5) Thick forests make it difficult to extract timber because they are hard to penetrate.
FORESTRY IN NORWAY
Norway is the country in the Europe continent, its capital city is Oslo.
In Norway, rivers are used to transport the logs to places where they can be processed into timbers, this is possible because of absence of waterfalls.
In Norway, the trees that are planted are often spruce, these trees are tall and have sharp leaves that are not shed, these trees produce hard brown fruits called cones.
ADVANTAGES OF FORESTRY IN NORWAY
1. Foreign currency because of exportation of finished goods made of timbers.
CHALLENGES FACING FORESTRY IN NORWAY
High Forest Damage due to acidic rain, unfavorable weather and attack by insects.
FORESTRY IN BRAZIL
ADVANTAGES OF FORESTRY IN BRAZIL
1. Foreign exchange due to exportation of forest products such as timber.
CHALLENGES FACING FORESTRY IN BRAZIL
1. Deforestation because of road construction and extension of towns.
DESTRUCTION OF FORESTS
1. Poor methods of harvesting timber such as harvesting immature trees in the forest.
2. Agricultural activities, forests are cleared to allow agricultural activities to take place.
SUSTAINABLE USE OF FORESTS
1. Afforestation. This is the planting of trees where they did not exist.
Click Here For Part One of this lesson
Click here to download full notes in PDF
|Views: 359 ||
|Total comments: 0|